July project #2

I officially finished the second project for July 2012 tonight when I buried the last thread and attached a label. This project has been sitting in my queue for quite awhile. I won the fabric for the top and the pattern during a shop hop a few years ago. I guess I never really had a reason to sew it together until now.

20120727-230520.jpg

This baby quilt was made for a coworker (and I say friend after all of the help/concern he displayed today) of DH’s. The friend, K, and his wife M are expecting their first baby at the end of August. They’ll be having a little girl.

20120727-230758.jpg
I found a tutorial online for making these cute flowers. And I decided to alternate with hearts. I didn’t know what to do with the border, so I stitched along the wavy pattern to create a little interest.

20120727-231040.jpg
I chose a cute little frog print for the back so K and M could have a break from all the pink they’re sure to receive at tomorrow’s baby shower.

So, here’s to your new baby, guys! I hope she’s beautiful and healthy and that she brings you both all the joy in the world!

June 2012 Project #2

This project has been mostly finished for about a week. Today I buried the threads and sewed on a quilt label. So, this is project number 2 for June!

20120629-141155.jpg

When I saw this dinosaur fabric at a quilt store that was closing, I knew I had to have it. Unfortunately I have a standing rule that says “don’t buy fabric if you don’t have a plan for it.” So, I came up with a plan on the spot. 😉

I knew I wanted to make the dinos the focus of the quilt, and I knew I needed to have them be in 6″ squares to have all the dinos fit. Luckily enough I found the coordinating green, orange and blue fabric nearby! The four patch was born.

20120629-141622.jpg

I was also lucky enough to find the backing at the same store. I knew I wanted the quilting to go along with the dinosaur theme. I couldn’t figure out how to make dino footprints so I settled on dino teeth. ROAR! I used variegated green thread.

20120629-141850.jpg

I hope my little cousin K loves his roaring dinosaur four patch.

June 2012 Project

I actually finished the quilt top last month. Then I stalled out on my sewing. I’m so used to sewing at the dining room table that when I moved my stuff upstairs it felt a bit foreign. One thing’s for sure though – when we buy a house, I’m getting a better table. The one upstairs is a folding plastic table from Costco. It vibrates way too much to work on consistently. Plus it’s at a weird height. Oh well. Enough about that. You’re here to see a quilt!

20120604-144719.jpg

I bought the fabric for the squares from a store that went out of business a couple months ago. The border was leftover fabric from the black/white/blue quilt I made for my friend B. This picture doesn’t do the colors justice. The green is a yellowy green but it’s definitely not dark.

20120604-145028.jpg

Again with the bad lighting – I apologize. I followed the same pattern as last month for the quilt I made for my boss’ new grandson but I used different fabrics this time. It ended up the same size too so I’ll keep it in my stash for the next person who has a new baby boy. And because I made it with babies in mind, the backing is flannel.

20120604-145445.jpg

There! This is much closer to the actual colors!

I did try fusible batting this time around. I don’t think I’ll use it again. It took twice as long to “baste” the quilt together as compared to my normal pin basting method. It also resulted in a very stiff quilt, which was challenging to quilt. Let’s hope the fusible stuff washes out all the way!

Either way, I’m pleased with the way this turned out.

March 2012 Project

Here is the project I completed for March 2012. My friend B’s birthday is at the end of the month so this will be his present. I hope he likes it!

20120315-135154.jpg

I did something different with the binding this time. I used a decorative stitch from my machine to add interest. The quilting is all done with straight lines freehand. The lines aren’t perfect by any means, but I like that they make the quilt look a little less geometric.

Here’s a closeup of the binding. I found some really cute polka dot fabric for the back. And because I brought in my finished top when I picked out the backing, I got it for 20% off! Score!

20120315-135531.jpg

February 2012 Project

I actually pieced this one in November (I think). I remembered last week that I had the stuff I needed to quilt it up! So, here’s my February quilt.

20120218-183548.jpg

20120218-183609.jpg

  • August 2017
    S M T W T F S
    « Aug    
     12345
    6789101112
    13141516171819
    20212223242526
    2728293031  
  • Archives